The CNM Ingenuity Nurse Refresher Course focuses on current nursing practice as related to the clinical area of medical-surgical nursing care. The hybrid course (online theory followed by face to face clinicals supervised by an RN) is designed to meet the educational needs of nurses who have been out of the clinical setting for some time and desire to re-enter the clinical workplace and as part of the New Mexico Board of Nursing (BON) requirement for licensure reactivation. The focus of the course is to expand the nurse’s knowledge and skills by applying information related to new technology, current nursing trends, and legal requirements to previously acquired formal education and skills competency.
At the completion of the course, the participant who successfully completes will be able to:
1. Employ the nursing process to provide holistic, patient-centered care that reflects an understanding of patient centered nursing, medical treatment, and nursing management across all healthcare settings.
2. Identify new trends and developments in the nursing care of medical, surgical, geriatric and psychiatric clients.
3. Develop independent self-study and self-evaluation skills as a means of maintaining professional competency.
4. Promote increased confidence in the mastery of knowledge and skills necessary for reentry into the nursing practice.
5. Utilize the nursing process, with guidance, to provide nursing assistance for clients in structured care settings.
6. Carry out medically-prescribed diagnostic, therapeutic and rehabilitative measures within the scope of practical/registered nursing, as applies.
Possess an active or lapsed NM nursing license (RN or LPN) or be eligible for endorsement or temporary licensure in NM; able to navigate in the online learning environment; initiation and planned completion of the clinical compliance requirements.
Fundamentals of Debriefing
Debriefing is an important part of the learning experience. In fact, research shows that most of the learning occurs during the debriefing phase, but only when educators are skilled in using effective debriefing methods.
After completing four hours of online didactic modules and an online exam, healthcare simulation educators will gather to practice and evaluate their own debriefing methods through authentic practice in CNM’s Simulation Center for Advanced Training and Education. The result will be better effectiveness in conducting a debriefing session when teaching.
- Explain the importance of “briefing” learners prior to beginning a simulation experience
- Establish and maintain a safe learning environment during all stages of simulation based instruction
- Define “debriefing” in the context of healthcare simulation instruction
- Describe the pros and cons of the “Judgmental”, “Non-Judgmental”, and “Good Judgment” debriefing styles.
- Cite three examples of learner frames
- Relate the key principles and parts of the learner frames model to a debriefing session.
- Perform a debriefing session using the four (4) stage debriefing process.
- Compare the pros and cons of the Directive Feedback, Plus/Delta, Advocacy-Inquiry and Open-Ended/Socratic debriefing techniques
- Reduce the use of ineffective debriefing techniques, such as Critique and GWIT
- Assess one’s own debriefing effectiveness and skills based on current best practice
The online module and exam must be successfully completed prior to coming to the lab. Successful completion is measured by achievement of 80% or greater grade on the exam. On lab day, participants must sign in, participate, and complete an evaluation form to receive a certificate of completion.
Note: Fundamentals of Debriefing has been approved for 8.75 contact hours of continuing nursing education.
This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the NMNA Accredited Approver Unit, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credential Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Approval of these materials ends March 23, 2020.
Pass! Work! Earn! Make your career dreams a reality with our NCLEX®-RN Exam Prep!
Our intensive, online, courses can be taken from anywhere around the world! Achieve the results you’ve been working for!
We provide you with access to Kaplan’s®, award winning online study materials, thirty (30) minutes of tutoring each week with a master’s prepared RN and an achievement coach specializing in English as a Second Language or general academics. Communicate via Blackboard Collaborate or other online conferencing tools. Our team will help you succeed!
Choose the class that meets your needs
- Our intensive, online, eight (8) week Registered Nurse (RN) Licensure Exam (NCLEX®) Preparation course is ideal for American trained nurses who want additional support as they prepare for the NCLEX-RN® and for those who have failed the exam previously.
- Our online, sixteen (16) week, Registered Nurse (RN) Licensure Exam (NCLEX®) Preparation for English as a Second Language (ESL) Speakers course is designed especially for Foreign Trained Nurses who are seeking nursing licensure in the N.M. It is also ideal for nurses who have struggled with English as a Second Language and contains additional study guides for ESL speakers.
Classes start the second Wednesday of every month!