Fundamentals of Debriefing
Debriefing is an important part of the learning experience. In fact, research shows that most of the learning occurs during the debriefing phase, but only when educators are skilled in using effective debriefing methods.
After completing four hours of online didactic modules and an online exam, healthcare simulation educators will gather to practice and evaluate their own debriefing methods through authentic practice in CNM’s Simulation Center for Advanced Training and Education. The result will be better effectiveness in conducting a debriefing session when teaching.
- Explain the importance of “briefing” learners prior to beginning a simulation experience
- Establish and maintain a safe learning environment during all stages of simulation based instruction
- Define “debriefing” in the context of healthcare simulation instruction
- Describe the pros and cons of the “Judgmental”, “Non-Judgmental”, and “Good Judgment” debriefing styles.
- Cite three examples of learner frames
- Relate the key principles and parts of the learner frames model to a debriefing session.
- Perform a debriefing session using the four (4) stage debriefing process.
- Compare the pros and cons of the Directive Feedback, Plus/Delta, Advocacy-Inquiry and Open-Ended/Socratic debriefing techniques
- Reduce the use of ineffective debriefing techniques, such as Critique and GWIT
- Assess one’s own debriefing effectiveness and skills based on current best practice
The online module and exam must be successfully completed prior to coming to the lab. Successful completion is measured by achievement of 80% or greater grade on the exam. On lab day, participants must sign in, participate, and complete an evaluation form to receive a certificate of completion.
Note: Fundamentals of Debriefing has been approved for 8.75 contact hours of continuing nursing education.
This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the NMNA Accredited Approver Unit, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credential Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Approval of these materials ends March 23, 2020.
Introduction to I.V. Procedures for Healthcare Providers
A competency based workshop that covers both theory and hands-on skills practice.
- Explain how NM law affects scope of practice & IV therapy
- Recognize the seriousness of medication errors.
- List the “rights” of safe medication administration
- Identify the vascular system & relevant anatomy
- Explain the importance of aseptic technique & infection control
- Compare CVAD and IV devices, and describe IV system components & equipment.
- List indications for IV therapy & solutions or medications that are given IV
- Select appropriate sites for an IV.
- Recognize local and systemic complications
- Explain common troubleshooting techniques
- Demonstrate correct procedures for inserting & discontinuing IV’s
Pass! Work! Earn! Make your career dreams a reality with our NCLEX®-RN Exam Prep!
Our intensive, online, courses can be taken from anywhere around the world! Achieve the results you’ve been working for!
We provide you with access to Kaplan’s®, award winning online study materials, thirty (30) minutes of tutoring each week with a master’s prepared RN and an achievement coach specializing in English as a Second Language or general academics. Communicate via Blackboard Collaborate or other online conferencing tools. Our team will help you succeed!
Choose the class that meets your needs
- Our intensive, online, eight (8) week Registered Nurse (RN) Licensure Exam (NCLEX®) Preparation course is ideal for American trained nurses who want additional support as they prepare for the NCLEX-RN® and for those who have failed the exam previously.
- Our online, sixteen (16) week, Registered Nurse (RN) Licensure Exam (NCLEX®) Preparation for English as a Second Language (ESL) Speakers course is designed especially for Foreign Trained Nurses who are seeking nursing licensure in the N.M. It is also ideal for nurses who have struggled with English as a Second Language and contains additional study guides for ESL speakers.
Classes start the second Wednesday of every month!